Thursday, July 24, 2014

July 22, 2014

I got to present about America and Texas today to some faculty and faff and 20 students. In my opinion, it went over like a lead balloon. I feel that I talked too fast and used too much jargon. I had to slow it up tons and cut out tons that I would consider vital information back home. On top of everything, the power went out just before I was to start and had to change gears to using a whiteboard and good old fashioned improvisation. All said, it wasn't my best. Oh, to make matters worse, I forgot the micro projector that my parents had lent me. It was BACK HOME IN TEXAS!!!! GAAA!!!!

Working with the teachers here has been an absolute treat. I have been spoiled with teaching resources in my district and campus. The teachers here find success with so much less resources than what I have access to. They arrive with an enthusiasm that makes the students want to be involved and take great pride in being students on this campus.

I got to observe a geography lesson today in the medium of Malayalam. I do not even remotely speak this language and was able to follow along with the Jesuit Father teaching the course. This is just a  testament of his skill and prowess as a teacher that regardless of the language barrier, I still was able to learn a small bit about the various trade centers established by the Portuguese, Dutch, British, and French. The lesson was a bit on the memorization and recitation (foundation) level for future lessons. I hope they look at motivations for establishing those centers of trade in those locations. The students have a deep respect for their instructors, from my observations anyway. They are willing to follow directions and throw themselves into an assignment to achieve the best marks that can possibly receive.

I am supposed to have a research question while here. Mine is "To what extent does the clash of tradition vs new prevent development and how does the Indian reality reflect this duality?" Basically, is tradition sacrificed for new or can it be preserved while implementing the new.

Example: The campus

The campus is 50 years old. In the states this is not a major issue. If you think of the USA schools 50 years ago, yes there was asbestos and other issues going on at the time but from an infrastructure time they were more solidly wired. Here you can see that the infrastructure of the school is a bit newer that the school. So, if conditions are right power can be lost (like it did on me). This does not stop the teachers from trying to implement technology on campus. This is where the resilience and brilliance of the teachers comes to play. I am not proud to admit I was crushed and deflated by the loss of electricity. Many of my fellow teachers in the US/TX/SPHS would crumble at the slightest hiccup in their lesson. The teachers here understand the concept and regularly implement the idea of: Adapt and Overcome. They do it professionally and proficiently. They teach their students regardless.

The dominant form of education is direct teaching but the teachers have the rapport with the students to make this work. Group work here can be difficult with classes being as large at 55 students. Anything I contribute must be low prep and low use of resources. I hope that in tomorrow's Social Studies presentation, I can positively impact the teaching of social studies here.


No comments:

Post a Comment